2. The expressionis equivalent to which of the following?
a) b) c) d)
3. Solve for x: x = 5
4. Simplify: = -3 5. – 36 6. Simplify:= 34 7. Simplify: =
8. Solve for x:
9. What is the product of the roots of the equation– 2 10. Olive Math is standing on 102nd floor of the Empire State Building, thinking about
mathematics. She realizes that, is she were able to throw a ball from her present position,
the height of the ball in feet, h, at time, t seconds could be modeled by the equation:
How high above the ground is the 102nd floor? 1224
What is the greatest height the ball would reach? 1288
How long would it take to reach that height? 2
How long would it take the ball to hit the ground? 11
11. The roots of the quadratic equationare
a) real, rational, and equal b) real, rational, and unequal
c) real, irrational, and unequal d) imaginary
12. Express the roots of the equationin simplest a + bi form.
13. For which value of k will the roots ofbe real?
a) 1 b) 3 c) 2 d) 4
14. What is the sum of the roots of the equation 1/2 15. Carmela’s parents want her home within 30 minutes of midnight. Which equation represents
a) b) c) d)
16. Express the roots of the equationin simplest a + bi form.
17. Wanda’s Widget Company manufactures widgets. It costs Wanda $1,000 per month for her
fixed costs, plus $10 to produce each widget. If Wanda produces w widgets each month,
what is the average cost per widget?
a) b) c) d)
18. The area of a parallelogram is represented by. If the height of the parallelogram is represented by , find the length of the base of the parallelogram in terms of x.
a) f(g(5)) = 45
b) = 4x2 + 12x + 5
20. Simplify: = b
21. If x varies inversely as y and x = 6 when y = 8, find x when y = 3. x = 16 22. Findif
23. The center of a circle is (-1,5) and point P(2,3) is on the circle. Write the equation of the circle.
(x + 1)2 + (y – 5)2 = 13
24. What is the center and radius of the circle whose equation is
(x + 1)2 + (y – 2)2 = 4 center: (-1,2) radius = 2
25. If the coordinates of the center of a circle is (2,5) and the radius is 9. Write the equation of
the circle. (x – 2)2 + (y – 5)2 = 81 26. Solve for x: –1/4
27. Expressed without negative exponents, the expression = 2ab13
28. Solve for x:
29. In the set of complex numbers, ifwhat is the value of
a) 24 b) 24 + 6i c) 36 d) 36 + 6i
30. Maria did a study of babysitting tares in her neighborhood over the last three years and
discovered that the function b(t) =represents the change in pricing, where t is the
number of years since 2000. What was the babysitting cost per hour in Maria’ neighborhood
a) $7.50 b) $6.25 c) $5.00 d) $1.20
31. The population of the village of Elfdom in the North Pole suburbs has a steady population