Defense of the Ancients or also referred to as Dota 2 is a Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA) for the video games Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and its expansion Warcraft III: Frozen Throne. It consists of two teams of five players who compete to collectively destroy a large structure defended by the opposing team known as “Ancients”, while defending their own as in Defense of the Ancients.
Valve, the publisher of Dota 2 sponsored sixteen teams to compete in the first Dota 2 eSports tournament for a $1 Million prize pool in 2011. Dota 2 now has over 97 Million players, and this is the reason why it is one of the most popular MOBA games in eSports on top of League of Legends.
Every August, the best Dota 2 teams travel around the world to compete at the most prestigious competition in eSports “The International” in Washington, USA. Now, Dota 2 has become the game to play in the eSports world for prize money, competition, skill and sponsorship.
Here’s a Look at Dota 2’S Most Iconic Moments:
1. The Fountain Hooks by Dendi and Puppey of team Natus Vincere – is a ground-breaking bug that team Na Vi or Natus Vincere eventually used to win the best of 3 series. A lot of eSports Dota 2 enthusiasts said that what happened on that iconic moment is very unorthodox.
2. First team ever comeback from Megacreeps in TI6 by eSports team Evil Geniuses (EG) – One of the very best iconic moments in Dota 2 history. Comeback Kings? There’s only ever been 33 comebacks from megacreeps, and never at an International. Evil Geniuses has made 2 in the past, against Fnatic and Sneaky Nyx Assassin. The title speaks for itself!
“The International” 2013, KyXy Deny is one of the most scandalous moment in Dota 2 history and iconic for all wrong reasons. He denied the “Aegis of Immortal” which is an item in Dota 2 that gives you free resurrection when your hero dies.
4. The Six Million Dollar Echo Slam – From the Grand Finals of The International 5, the six-Million Dollar Echo Slam is not only one of the nastiest two-man/hero wombo combo but it was also the tournament winning play for Evil Geniuses.
5. s4’s Million Dollar Dream Coils – From the Epic Grand Final of The International 3, s4’s million-Dollar Dream Coils are quite possibly the most clutch plays in Dota 2 history. This player pretty much cancelled all the teleportation animation of the other team Natus Vincere, therefore s4’s team Alliance won by that clutch play he did.
6. BuLba and Clockwerk – BuLba by Team Liquid pretty much carried the game against Team LGD of China. His Clockwerk was out of this earth skills, he landed all the most important hooks and secured the kill and the game as well.
7. The Play – Is the most famous moments highlighted in Dota 2 eSports history. The decisive game was between Invictus Gaming and Natus Vincere (Na’Vi’). Invictus Gaming wrapped around the heroes of Natus Vincere (Na’Vi’) by in-game item called Smoke of Deceit which gave invisibility for 40 seconds. Invictus Gaming planned to catch Natus Vincere (Na’Vi’) offguard and set-up a devastating game-play, but Na`Vi turned the world around by reversing the IG’s gameplay and put the hype in their favour to win the game.